Henri Rousseau (French, 1844-1910). War: The Ride of Discord (La Guerre: La chevauchée de la Discorde), 1894. Oil on Canvas. 1.14 x 1.95 m. Musée d’Orsay, Paris, France.
Some day I am going to write a novel based on this painting.
(This is another one that I saw at the Musée d’Orsay’s travelling post-impressionism exhibition at the De Young Museum in San Francisco, California.)
“La guerre ; elle passe effrayante laissant partout le désespoir, les pleurs, la ruine.”
James Tissot (French, 1836-1902). A Little Nimrod, 1882. Oil on canvas.
This is just a little counterpoint/comparison to La Guerre.
Today I inaugurate a new feature here at the Froz-T-Freez: the Froztmix. As we commence the beautiful hot month of July, this particular froztmix has been made with pure summer listening in mind.
What is a Froztmix? It is no more and no less than a virtual mixtape. This particular mix has been calculated to fit on two sides of a 90 minute cassette tape. Of course, you can also listen to it using the mp3 player of your choice, or burn it onto a CD.
I suggest this mix as ideal for automobile listening while traveling, or for a small but good sounding portable stereo in an echoey basement or bathroom while doing laundry or other chores.
Well, on with it. Right click on each side and choose “Save as…” to get the goods.
- Animal Collective: Summertime Clothes
- Sleigh Bells: Crown on the Ground
- Grizzly Bear: Two Weeks
- Vampire Weekend: California English
- Atlas Sound: Walkabout (feat. Noah Lennox)
- Neon Indian: Deadbeat Summer
- Nite Jewel: Want You Back
- The Cool Kids: Strawberry Girl
- Ariel Pink’s Haunted Graffiti: ‘Round and ‘Round
- Laura Veirs: July Flame
- Ganglians: To June
- Deerhunter: Strange Lights
- The Carter Family: Keep on the Sunny Side
- Best Coast: Sun Was High (So Was I)
- No Age: Here Should Be My Home
- Girls: Morning Light
- Yes: And You and I
- T. Rex: Mambo Sun
- Vampire Weekend: Cousins
- White Denim: Shake Shake Shake
- Holiday Shores: Errand of Tongue
- Girls: Summertime
If you find that you like any of the songs on this mix, please explore the artists’ work further and purchase the music. Any questions or comments are, as always, welcome.